Mutton Akhni is a typical Khoja Muslim dish. Their gravy dishes generally have oil floating at the top.
INGREDIENTS for Mutton Akhni
(Serves 5-6 adults)
Mutton- 500 gms.(dressed)
Oil- 100 gms
Onions- 150 gms
Tomatoes (red, ripe ones)- 100 gms.
Ginger Paste- 25 gms
Garlic Paste- 25 gms
Green Chilies– 2 nos.
Coriander Leave- about 10 stems
Mint Leaves- about 5 stems
Dhania Powder (coriander powder)- 25 gms
Cloves- 2-3 nos.
Cinnamon- a small piece about 1 in.
Red Chilly Powder- to taste
Salt- to taste.
1. Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and mintleaves. Keep them separately.
2. Clean and cut the mutton into desired size.
We recommend that you marinate the mutton for at least 2-3 hours using little bit of the ginger and garlic paste out of the recommend quantities along with full quantity of curds.
3. Heat the oil in the cooking vessel and fry the onions along with the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon till the onions become light golden brown in color.
4. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and stir continuously till you get a sweetish aroma.
5. Add dhania powder and stir for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add green chilies and chopped tomatoes. Stir for 2-3 mins.
7. Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves, followed by curds and red chilly powder to taste.
8. Add the required quantity of water.
9. Bring to boil and adjust salt.
10.Turn the flame to low and allow to boil slowly till oil separates.
Your Mutton Akhni is ready.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve