Chicken Butter Masala is a Punjabi gravy that has found acceptability through Indian and the rest of the World. Its mild nature and creamy plus buttery taste is the main reason for it being accepted.
CHICKEN BUTTER MASALA
(Serves 8-10 adults)
Chicken: 1 kg. (small pieces)
Butter: 300 gms. + 50 gms.
Onion: 500 gms.
Tomatoes: 300 gms.
Ginger Paste: 25 gms.
Garlic Paste: 25 gms.
Cashew Nuts: 25 gms.
Tomato Sauce: 50 gms.
Kasuri Methi: 10 gms.
1. Marinate the chicken pieces and keep them in the fridge for 2 hours
(For details on marination, please refer to Chicken-65 recipe – do not use corn powder)
2. Finely chop the onions.
3. Tomatoes should be nice and fully ripe.
4. Make tomato puree: Bring water to boil. Switch off the stove. Immerse the tomatoes in the boiled
water, cover and keep the tomatoes soaked for half an hour. Then remove the skin and grind the peeled
tomatoes in a mixer grinder, strain and use the puree as instructed below.
5. Make a fine paste of cashew nuts.
6. Half-fry the marinated chicken, using 300 gms of butter.
7. Keep the balance marinates and butter aside.
8. Use the balance butter to fry the chopped onions to very light
9. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry well.
10. Add the balance marinates followed by tomato puree.
11. Add the required quantity of water.
12. Add the cashew nut paste and again adjust the consistency of the
gravy with water.
13. Add tomato sauce. Cook on a low flame till oil separates.
14. Add kasuri methi and the 50 gms of butter, mix, switch off the gas
and close the vessel.
15. Your Chicken Butter Masala is ready to serve, garnishing with grated cheese/paneer and coriander leaves.